Free Meals for All Children at Ames Schools Through the 20-21 School Year
The Ames Community School District is excited to share that we will be able to offer free breakfast and lunch each school day to every child in our community through the end of the 2020-2021 school year. The U. S. Department of Agriculture recently announced that it would grant the flexibility for school districts to offer no-cost meals to all children through the end of the school year.
Any child aged 1-18 is eligible to receive a school breakfast and lunch at the following locations: Ames Middle School, Edwards Elementary, Fellows Elementary, Meeker Elementary, Mitchell Elementary, and Sawyer Elementary. Free meals are available to students when they are on-site every day and Grab and Go meals will be available for students who are in virtual learning. Breakfast and lunch are available for free for on-site learners at Ames High School, free snacks are available for on-site learners at Northwood Preschool, and free breakfast lunch is available for enrolled children at the Boys & Girls Clubs.
Ames families with students and young children can pick up free grab-and-go breakfast and lunch between 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at Edwards, Fellows, Meeker, Mitchell, and Sawyer Elementary Schools.
Pickup for free meals is available at Ames Middle School Monday through Friday from 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Students and young children do not need to be present when parents and guardians pick up meals, and student IDs are not required. Families may pick up meals at the school closest to them.
We are also excited to announce that weekend meals will be available on Fridays starting October 30th at the 5 elementary schools and Ames Middle School.
We will also be providing free meals for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring breaks as follows:
- Tuesday, November 24, 2020
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Elementary Schools
- 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Middle Schools
- Tuesday – Sunday meals for virtual learners
- Tuesday – Sunday meals for Cohort 3-4 (if still in hybrid)
- Wednesday – Sunday meals for Cohort 1-2 (or all onsite learners if not in hybrid)
- Monday, December 22, 2020 – 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 pm. Monday – Sunday meals
- Monday, December 28, 2020 – 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 pm. Monday – Sunday meals
- Monday, March 15, 2021 – 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 pm. Monday – Sunday meals
Winter and Spring break pickups will be at Ames Middle School, Fellows, Meeker, Mitchell, and Sawyer Elementary Schools.